6.06.2009

Good Night, God Bless you baby

My little girls are growing up. The reality of their growth is breath taking at times. To remember holding their little hands in my own as they slept in my arms. How they would fall asleep while breastfeeding, drunk on the warm goodness. The first time they smiled. Their little giggles at the funny faces I use to make at them while they hung out in their rocking seats. Holding them now is still a favorite pastime for both them and me but now it is on their terms and generally lasts for very short periods of time. Their sweet smiles have turned into talking, crying over lost toys, and general babble over everything they discover and want to say. They do actually speak real words now and understand the general concept of what I tell them- unless it means them doing something other than what they want to do. I smile as I say that because they have the most wonderful little personalities. They love to love. They kiss and hug each other and my hubby and me. They share excitement over Elmo's theme song, the opening song to CBS Sunday morning, and seeing the dogs for the first time each morning. They love reading books- when I read them or if they pretend to read them on their own. They also have a mind of their own when it comes to doing things they should not to be doing. Having each other is a God send as they always have someone to enjoy life with while building with their blocks or pushing their carts around and filling them with toys. They laugh, play, and cry with each other- true sister love.

Our long summer days here in the Pacific Northwest have caused our babies to stay up later and wake earlier. This is not a good combination when your a growing busy little 15 month old. So hubby covered the windows with heavy paper to block any light from entering during sleep time. The darkness is why I stand over them right now. It frightened them and they called for me seconds after I shut the door good-night. They both have laid down and are twisting and shifting butts up in the air like babies do trying to find just the right spot for their heads, legs, feet, and hands. This goes on for a short time and then the deep sighs and slowing of their breath signal that it is almost time for me to go. As I look upon them I see their chubby little legs and arms and burn their memory into my brain. I want to always remember what they looked like as they slept. Next year my time will be even less needed when the darkness comes. I won't be any less important, just a different kind of important. As I take a deep breath and get ready to leave I hear an Angel whisper 'They are not yours to have, just yours to hold and help bloom.'

Good night sweet little babies, God bless you always.

Love & Light,
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment